Monday, November 24, 2008

Lobby Day-Mission Accomplished

As you know I went to Washington D.C. to be part of "lobby day" for PAH.There were six of us that went together.Cindy (support group leader),Tonya(co-leader)Medeta,Sharee,Meg from South Carolina and myself.We drove up in a van and it was a long trip.We all wanted to eat and needed bathroom breaks at different times.It took us 9 hours there and about the same to get back. I can honestly say I don't know if I will go again next year with the same set up.All in all we had great conversations,we laughed and got to know each other better.So it turned out to be a good thing.
As for lobby day itself.It was fun,hectic and exhausting !We went to the luncheon.Rino from PHA spoke.Then Congressman Brady spoke for a few minutes.Congresswoman Capps was not able to be there. Dr.Park spoke giving a rather quick and educating synopsis of PH.One of the students there was our own Tonya's granddaughter.She shared what it was like to have a ph'er in the family.She was adorable and did a great job.Another patient Donna Pederson spoke after her .Her story was compelling.She is definitely a strong warrior woman.
Our group had 2 main things to do.We needed to stop by Elizabeth Dole's office to thank her .When we met with her this past summer she had agreed to take our bill H.R. 6568 to the Senate.She did not get re-elected so our thanking her was a priority.She wasn't in her office but her manager sat with us and listened to what we had to say and assured us he would let her know we were to thank her.
Then it was literally off to the races.We were set up for a photo shoot with our other senator Richard Burr and the students from one of our schools.Well we were told to be on the senate building steps @ 2Pm.We were there but no one else was.We then found out they were taking the photos on the steps of the capitol building across the street and the Senator was ready to leave. We hustled as best we could to get there and we did it !! A little short of breath but a great picture was taken of Cindy,Tonya ,Senator Burr and myself..phew !!! It was cold and windy-we felt every bit of it.
We were also given tickets to go sit in the Senate Gallery to watch everyone in action.The line through security was too long and it was outside.I already had icicles forming on my face so we opted to go shopping in the gift shop instead.So much more fun ..lol
I picked up some goodies for my honey and myself and then it was time to get on the bus and head back to PHA.
What a day.I met so many people.I saw some of the most beautiful architecture in these buildings and I got to shop,,woohoo.Most importantly we did what we set out to do.
Mission Accomplished !

2 comments:

Merle said...

You are doing an awesome job for awareness. I am so proud of you -- you done good and sorry it was so chilly for you. I am so hoping I can make it next year -- and I hope you will change your mind about attending. Maybe a little arm twisting is do.

Merle
Smile--it's contagious

Nancy said...

Give yourself a pat on the back for meeting your PH Awareness goal. Every PHer owes you a debt of gratitude. Thank you for taking the time to do this.